Thursday, June 5, 2008

like we're sisters.

yesterday was my first expereince with being filmed for anything besides one of jv's film assignments.
Mandy my friend from the UK came to Madison to be filmed speaking with me about my amputation. The film will air on a series in the UK called "Extraordinary People". Overall I feel the expereince was a good one. We did have to film us "first" meeting about 3 times. We were filmed speaking with eachother regarding life, medical issues, my amputation and her decision whether or not to have one. Then I was interviewed alone, and they got some really hilarious shots of me "living life" in my apartment. They asked if there was anything they could film me doing. Since our apartmetn was so clean there wasn't a lot to be done. So the director suggested..."how about groom your cat" (said in british accent) So I picked up Ray and was filmed walking into the room and walking to the dining room where I proceeded to groom Ray on the dining room table. Possibly the most UN genuine thing I could have done. It was ridiculous. I was standing in front of the table and there was grey fur literally flying everywhere, my arm was getting covered in hair and Ray was in such ecstacy that he was pulling the white table cloth into a ball with his claws. Then I had to "naturally" (read abruptly) stop brushing pick him up and walk out of the room.

The show is to be aired in August and I will hopefully have a copy on dvd mailed to me before then. The director definately had a spin he was trying to get on it. And so I really hope that they are true to my words and dont edit out the parts that didn't fit with his idea. He kind of didnt have a clue about disability. Just the Hallmark version of it. which was annoying. We'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Oh my god, grooming the cat on the table? That's hilarious!